Home | Legals | Data Protection | Sitemap | interACT

Waseda University


You have been admitted to the interACT exchange program at the Waseda University. There is a lot to do before your trip can start. At first it is very important for the Waseda University to know the intended period (from DD/MM/YY to DD/MM/YY) of your stay. You should have an idea of the start date at least. 

Besides, you need to organize your flight, a place to live, appointments with contact persons and the consulate, fill in forms etc. The following general information and guideline will help you. 


Please note: Waseda University supports only graduate students (i.e. no Bachelorthesis is allowed at Waseda).


For your stay at Waseda University you need a student visa – the Certificate of Egilibility. Waseda University will apply for the visa in cooperation with the International Office, which is coordinating Overseas Researcher Exchange Program. The application can take up to four weeks at least. You should start the application process 3 months better 3 1/2 months before your stay at Waseda University. 

You need the following documents for the Certificate of Eligibility:

  1. Letter of Recommendation of your advisor at KIT (given by interACT office at KIT)
  2. Copy of Prediploma or Bachelor in German and English (you can translate it by yourself) 
  3. Two photos (3cm x 4cm)
  4. interACT confirmation letter (given by interACT office at KIT)
  5. A colour copy of your passport
  6. Information Sheet (will be sent by Ms. Ohta from Waseda University)
  7. Waseda University Research Intern Program Application Form (will be sent by Ms. Ohta from Waseda University)
  8. Research Plan (Description of your Master- or Diplomathesis and your research at Waseda University, will be sent by Ms. Ohta from Waseda University)
  9. Certificate of Registration (will be sent by Ms. Ohta from Waseda University)
  10. Agreement to pay Expenses (will be sent by Ms. Ohta from Waseda University)
  11. Bank statement: 
    You probably need a letter from your bank in English. You must have the amount of 1600 – 2000 Euro/month (ca.  155.607 - 194.508 Yen per month).
    Examples for bank statement:
    This is to certify that (name), resident in (address) is our customer. We hereby confirm that (name) is able to provide the amount of ....... (Euro or USD) to support himself for his period of study in Japan. 

Alternatively a statement of account in original is accepted but you have to add a translation of it in English by yourself, too. Be mindful to state the amount of money in Yen, too.
According to the International Office the amount of 1600 Euro (155.607 Yen) is sufficient to apply for the visa application. But consider that an accommodation cost around 90,000 Yen (ca. 926 Euro) at Waseda University.

Please send all the above-mentioned documents to Waseda University (Ms. Ohta) per e-mail. But you have to send the documents in original (with exception of the passport) per post, too.


 For further information on Visa-Extensions view the document here.